Budget travel resource CheapOair.com specializes in getting its customers the best travel deals. The online travel agency has released a list of tips and tricks for seniors and retirees on how to save money on travel this year.
1. Avoid Peak Travel Season
Every destination is busy at different times of the year. By doing a little research ahead of time you can potentially save a lot of money by knowing when the airlines, hotels, and rental car companies are most in need of the business.
According to CheapOair’s booking data from 2017, many popular international destinations for seniors and retirees saw large airfare difference between the slowest months and the busiest months.
- Passengers that traveled from the U.S. to China in September 2017 instead of June 2017 on average saved 37% on airfare.
- Passengers that traveled from the U.S. to Spain in February 2017 instead of July 2017 on average saved 36% on airfare1.
- Passengers that traveled from the U.S. to Australia in August 2017 instead of December 2017 on average saved 29% on airfare1.
- Passengers that traveled from the U.S. to Italy in March 2017 instead of June 2017 on average saved 25% on airfare1.
Most Popular Domestic and International Destinations for Travelers Ages 60+
2. Consider all of your options before booking
Many airlines have recently changed their fare structures to have very low base fares, but then charge extra fees for things such as checked baggage, carry-on luggage, or seat selection. Before booking the lowest fare you see, read the fine print to double check what is included and what is not. Depending on your preferences, it may be worthwhile to book a more expensive (but more comprehensive) fare upfront to save money on the fees you could be charged later.
3. Be flexible with your dates
Booking engines like CheapOair.com allow travelers to see the cheapest dates for travel even before selecting their intended travel dates. Since retirees are less time-constrained, consider taking advantage of the ability to fly on cheaper days. (See image)
4. If you are unsure of something, pick up the telephone
From online booking to e-tickets, there’s no denying that technology has taken over the travel industry. CheapOair understands that some travelers prefer to talk to a live travel agent instead of booking on a website. CheapOair has thousands of trained travel agents available 24/7 who can help plan and book a trip from airline tickets, to hotel rooms, and rental cars. Plus, you may be able to take advantage of CheapOair’s telephone-only airfare pricing.
5. Sign up for a travel credit card
Travel credit cards are a great way for frequent travelers to earn reward points that are redeemable for future travel. The co-branded CheapOair credit card by Synchrony Financial offers customers access to an enhanced loyalty program and includes a special financing offer to help manage the cost of travel. Each of the three cards available (Visa®, Visa Signature®, and a private label credit card) offers a range of introductory benefits to qualifying cardholders including:
- Six-month special financing option on purchases of $399 or more (after discounts) made on CheapOair.com
- A $50 statement credit after making purchases of $500 or more in the first 90 days (excludes special financing purchases)
- Accelerated earning of CheapOair Rewards Program Points
For more information on cheap travel, please visit www.cheapoair.com, plus follow our social media pages, www.facebook.com/cheapoair, www.twitter.com/cheapoair, and www.instagram.com/cheapoair. Download the CheapOair app for Apple or Android for an on-the-go travel concierge experience.
CheapOair is a flight-focused hybrid travel agency that enables consumers to book online, on mobile apps for iOS and Android, by phone (1-800-566-2345) or live chat. Part of Fareportal’s family of travel brands, CheapOair bridges the gap between an online travel agency and a traditional agency with certified travel agents available 24/7 to help find deals and offers to destinations worldwide on over 450 airlines, a million hotels, and 100s of car rental companies. Follow CheapOair on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn how to travel the world for less.
 Based on average airfare purchased from 1/1/17 – 12/31/17
 Based on number of passengers ages 60+ booked to travel U.S domestic and from the U.S. to international countries 1/1/18 – 3/31/18
 Subject to credit approval